The Academy admits applicants who demonstrate commitment, preparation and a strong desire to enter the field of traditional Chinese medicine. As well, candidates are evaluated for emotional maturity and evidence of commitment to self-development, these being necessary requirements to safely and professionally practice Chinese medicine.
The applicants are provided with accurate information and guided to ensure they make informed decisions about their program of study. The Academy’s admission criteria are well publicized and applied consistently. Admission requirements ensure students have the required language competencies (see Language Proficiency Assessment Policy), and the basic knowledge, skills and abilities to achieve program outcomes.
- Grade 12 graduation or equivalent (BC High School Diploma, BC Adult Graduation Diploma, General Education Development- GEC, or an equivalent secondary school completion from another jurisdiction).
- A sincere interest in Chinese medicine and the healing arts.
- Proficiency in oral and written English to the Grade 12 level. Students who have English as a second language may be required to provide evidence of proficiency in English.
- Financial resources to complete the program.
The CTCMA requires successful completion of not less than two (2) years of liberal arts or sciences study (comprised of at least 60 credits) in an accredited college or chartered/approved university acceptable to the registration committee to write the licensing exams in British Columbia.
- a completed application form
- Up- to-date resume
- Personal essay (about 1,000 words)
- Complete official transcripts of secondary and post-secondary education sent directly to us from all institutes attended
- Relevant non-formal education documentation
- Physician’s certificate of health (Western, Chinese or Naturopathic physician); a general statement of your current stay of physical and mental health; severe allergies must be mentioned in it
- Two letters of recommendation (sent directly to ACOS)
- Application fee of $100.00 CDN (non-refundable) payable to ACOS. Out of country applicants should submit the application fee in form of money order in Canadian Funds. In case you have difficulty obtaining Canadian funds please contact ACOS.
The Application Committee may request a personal or telephone/ skype interview with any applicant.
Admission requirements cannot be waived by either the student or the Academy.
Applications should be sent to:
The Registrar, Academy of Classical Oriental Sciences
Suite 2 – 560 Baker Street
Nelson, B.C., Canada V1L 4H9
Call Toll Free: 1-888-333-8868